I've moved! This page should automatically redirect in 5 seconds, but if it doesn't, then click here.

4.26.2011

i remember.


i remember the first moment i saw him. the first flicker of a smile as he brushed past.

i remember the night we sat on opposite ends of the couch as the world ended. and the secret that gave way to sadness.

i don't remember him saying it might all work out. i've read that now, all these many years later, but i don't remember it.

i remember the day he said i'd find my own ella fitzgerald. i'd like to tell him now that i have--in the sounds of the pacific northwest and britsh folk movement.

and i remember the night he passed over my favorite book. wrote it off. and how i missed that clue.

i remember baseball caps and tennis shoes. living room floors and promises left there. single keys passing hands. and single booths at late-night diners.

i don't remember how much was missed--how many pointed glances were not taken in, how many tilts of the head went unnoticed. how often we spoke past the person, our words left hanging around our ankles.

i remember 125th street and an opened book quickly closed again.

but for the life of me i can't remember how my mouth felt as it wrapped itself around his name.

27 comments:

kat h. said...

as it's said in hebrew: magniv [magnificent].

look a little closer said...

wow. so beautiful.

becky said...

This is beautiful. Truly, truly beautiful.

Cas said...

I found myself doing just that.
The other night.
Sitting on my bed.
Saying his name.
Over and over.
In different inflections.
Trying to remember just how it had rolled off before...

http://gracebefore.tumblr.com

Anonymous said...

You put so much feeling into these short stories that I feel as though I'm living it.

Anonymous said...

lovelove.

Melissa said...

Again, Meg. Write a book please?

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I have chills. It feels like you pulled these words right out of my heart. I have felt all those things- even some recently in spite of having found my someone.

christine said...

Yes, I too can relate. Beautifully said.

Jay said...

i love the way you use your words, and the stories you tell with them <3

jenny said...

this is nothing short of heavenly.

vintch said...

so gorgeous. and so chocked-full of emotion and beautiful. just like i imagine you are, meg.

Kate said...

This is so relateable, just like basically everything else you write.

Georgette said...

Meg,

Among your many talents, you are also a truly gifted writer.

I cannot wait to hold a volume of your words in print one day!

This was so beautiful my heart hurt.

xg

Michelle said...

Isn't love agonizing and incredible? It is a mystery, that can't be solved, only investigated over and over again.

Katie said...

thanks for meaning something. I think you're wonderful.

Shelby Lou said...

I love the part, "our worlds left around our ankles." When I repeat the phrase in my mind, I go back to the moment when my ex was breaking up with me. Everything I said just fell to the ground, and I felt like I was knee-deep in the mud.

You are great.
and I love your face.

all she wrote said...

this is stunningly beautiful <3

Alex Byer said...

I think I fell in love with you and your writing from this post. Profound loss turned into profound words.

meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meg said...

everyone of the images in your writing is so honest and powerful!

your writing is truly beautiful.

Ramona said...

wow! thank you for putting this into words!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

you are quite the wordsmith!

♥ Kaylan said...

gosh, i wish it were my name you were saying!! your words amaze me more and more everyday. is there not a line of men waiting at your apartment in the sky? ..waiting for you to say THEIR name? i think there must be. you couldn't convince me otherwise.

Jenni Austria Germany said...

chills, i tell you, chills!

nicole mountz said...

you put things into words that all of us, well, at least me, feel but can never express. write a book!:)